Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday in Wood Dale, Illinois

Patrice (sister), Linda (cousin), me
This is a lot bigger than our RV - both Linda and her husband drive.

Wednesday was busy. Besides arriving at Patrice and Paul's for a visit, we had a mini family reunion with a cousin we had not seen in 30 some years. She and I had connected via phone about 3 years ago. She and her husband own and operate a large semi trailer-tractor truck where they pick up and deliver freight all over the country. I never know when I talk with her where she'll be. They happened to be in the area and so we were able to visit with them in the evening. We tried to get caught up on a lot of years.
Today we toured a place called "Cantigny" about an hour away in the country. It is the former home of the man who started up the Chicago Tribune and WGN radio and TV (Robert McCormick). This man was rich and had no heirs, so he willed his huge estate/mansion/home to the state of Illinois for the enjoyment of the public. No one lives in the house now, but we had a tour guide and there were priceless objects and paintings in the house. The grounds are beautifully planted. This man was an officer in WWII and led a unit to victory in France; there is a very interesting military museum on the grounds documenting the major wars. There were artificats and 'sets' to simulate different situations in the wars - it was extremely well done. The name Cantigny came from the town Mr. McCormick liberated in France. I think they have a website under the name of the estate (Cantigny). I'll try to post pics of that tomorrow.
In the evening we had dinner at Paul's mother's home - she loves to cook and feed her family. We had homemade ravioli, chicken caccitore, corn on the cob, green beans, salad, homemade bread. And then there was dessert. Yum - good stuff. -Joyce

2 comments:

Ron and Diane said...

Joyce....How fun, seeing your relatives you haven't seen in years. Lots of catching up to do. That dinner sounds wonderful (any leftovers?).It sounds like a very fun and busy day for you. Can't wait for more pictures.

Ernie.....I won't say the game last night wasn't exciting but I fell asleep. I was secretly pulling for the Cubs (I like to see the home team win one at home for the fans), should have hidden Ron's Dodgers hat. They say its not over until the fat lady sings, I understand they have her locked up in the equipment room (ha..ha).
The Sooners play tomorrow...we are getting into our football mode now. GO SOONERS!!!!!
Diane

Sky said...

now I thought I made good Italian food, guess not (that sounds wonderful) I think Ill have to get out my pasta maker this weekend and make something yummy :)