Friday, February 11, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy

At the top of the Mesa.
The hiking group on the mesa.

Joyce was glad we were'nt going any farther.


Checking out a herd of desert mountain goats.



Look at that form (note the ball).




It's been a busy week here in sunny Arizona. On Tuesday Wayne and I went to the driving range and hit a bucket of balls. Wednesday was my great off road adventure day with a group of 6 UTV's and quads. We went 11 miles back into the hills over some pretty rough terrain. I rode with a native Arizonan (Pete) who lives here in the park during the winter, and up in the White Mountains in the summer. He's been on this route in the past, but said it was rougher than he remembered. Now I now why they have skid plates. I took pictures until the camera battery died. With a little luck I will get some posted.
Yesterday (Thursday) Joyce and I went with a hiking group of 14 on a 6 mile round trip into the mountains not far from here. We went to an area where the Apache's wiped out a group of Spanish soldiers sometime in the 1800's. The site was on a mesa with only one way in and out. All around was a vertical drop of about 500 feet. Apparently the Apache's chased the Spaniards onto the mesa where they proceeded to wipe them out.
Today (Friday) Wayne and I have a 3:00 tee time at a 9 hole golf course. While we're doing that, the ladies are going to the Mesa swap meet. The swap meet is huge, and if a person had the stamina could probably spend the better part of the day there.
Next week I plan on firing up the smoker for the first time as a payback gesture for Pete and his wife for taking me on the off road adventure. So this has been our busiest week yet, as we both are feeling pretty close to normal. It's just a little over 2 weeks until our first baseball game. Oh and by the way, it's supposed to be in the mid 70's this weekend, and near 80 next Monday and Tuesday. Ernie

3 comments:

Sky said...

GREAT pictures, and nice swing dad! you guys look like your starting to have some fun (now that the bugs are gone) Its always great hearing from you, and the kids say Thank You for the Valentines cards, I think Sky read his for almost 2 hours (: Enjoy the sun (please send some warm this way)

gail and randy said...

Love the pictures! Looks like y'all are having a great time! The cactus are spectacular! Oh I wish I was there with you Joyce for the swap meet - right up my alley! Golf swing looks pretty darn good, Ernie!

dhinnen said...

Making up for lost time? You guys can pack more into one week than anyone I know. Looks like you really had a great time.
I'm not as jealous this week as I have been on your weather. It's suppose to get close to 60 today(a regular heat wave)we may even see our lawn before the end of the week.
The Mesa swap meet....ooooooh, sounds like a great place to find some cool crap(thats Ron's word for it, I prefer to call it stuff).
Looking forward to more adventures...Diane