Saturday, April 10, 2010

Head em up and Move em Out

The real Batman
The Big Bad Kitty (for all you WSU folks)

The Big Bad Wolf


A tourist at the Sonoran Desert Museum



Saguaro facts




Wildflowers and blooming cactus





A tourist at Canyon Lake at Tortilla Flats


48 hours from now we will be on the road heading for New Mexico. Yesterday we took our last road trip from here (for this year), and went back down to Tucson to visit the Sonoran Desert Museum. Turns out that we had been there before when we stayed in Tucson for a week about 5 years ago. There were a lot more animals out this time then when we were here the last time which was sometime in January of 2004 or 2005. The temperatures yesterday were in the mid to upper 80's. The weather forecast has it getting to 90 by this coming Thursday. By then we will be in Texas. I haven't looked at the forecast there, but doubt if it will be quite that warm. 90 is outside of my comfort zone.
We will be heading out Monday morning and will be getting into the Austin area on Wednesdayafternoon. From there we will be spending some time in Austin, San Antonio, Johnson City, etc.
Kristin will be staying with us for 3 nights, and has a couple of Barbecue joints she wants us to check out. Texas is big on Beef Barbecue which is good, but I prefer Pork. The Salt Lick Barbecue is one that is on the list to visit. Thei9r menu has beef as well as pork, and chicken when in season.(???) I'm hoping to find a new sauce or two to bring back. You never know. Last year in Apache Junction is where I found Bone Suckin Sauce.
We will probably start winding our way N.W. on Monday the 19th unless there is more that we have to see around Austin. We haven't figured out the specific route yet, but I would like to go through Lubbock to see the Buddy Holly Memorial. He was right behind Elvis in my book, and as with Jfk and Elvis, I remember exactly where I was when I heard of the plane crash that took his life. We should be home around the 26th or 27th unless we get sidetracked, or if the weather is too cold at home for shorts!!
Wish us luck, Ernie

2 comments:

Sky said...

I want to go to the Buddy Holly memorial!!!! have fun, take lots of pictures (id like to see them) I hope you guys have a blast in TX and find some yummy BQ sauce. Cant wait to see you guys in a few weeks!

Ron and Diane said...

Your right, Texas is really big on BBQ, your going to have lots of fun. Ummmmm, exactly when is chicken season???
If you go to San Antonio don't forget the Alamo. My mother and I went there years ago, It wasn't at all what I was expecting but I'm glad we went. My mother REALLY loved the Riverwalk, we rode up and down that thing so many times that we were on a first name basis with those people.
The Gulf of Mexico isn't that much further if you want some sun, sand and surf. Of course its not the Caribbean, but it'll do in a pinch (bet you haven't heard that expression in a while).
HAVE FUN....Diane