Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One Week Later....

"Wildlife" Arizona Style
Cactus don't always grow vertical

Chihuly sculpture at the entrance to the Phoenix Botanical Gardens


"Tourists". Note: One wearing fleece and one wearing shorts!!



Yuma Car Show. 1951 Chevrolet identical to the one I (Ernie) learned to drive on in 1962.




Went to our 2nd ball game today - Mariners vs. Cleveland Indians. How can I describe this experience? Now, it wasn't snowing, but after the 3rd inning Joyce retreated to the car for warmth. At this game I wore, in addition to my jeans and shirt, a fairly well insulated jacket, a scarf, gloves and a blanket. The wind was actually what made it so cold. Not that I'm complaining about the weather (Joe...) but I just wanted to describe the experience. Ernie lasted until the 7th inning and then he came out to the car because he felt sorry for me (or - maybe he was cold - he wore shorts). It was actually funny, I felt like we were at an April ball game at Safeco Field.
The rain and clouds here are very different from Seattle and depending where you're at in the valley, you can have sun or lots of rain. The mountains here resemble the ones in Hawaii because of their formation plus they're now green instead of desert looking.
This past week we did some exploring of the area, becoming acquainted with where the different communities are located. On Saturday Ernie drove to Yuma again to go to a car show so he was gone 12 hours. I chose to stay 'home,' relax, and read. On Sunday it rained a lot so we saw a movie and took a drive out of metro Phoenix to McDowell Park in the foothills and decided we'd go back there again when it was less wet. Yesterday we drove to downtown Phoenix (about 45 minutes from here) and were going to a museum of history but it was closed, so we drove around downtown exploring the area. We had lunch at an In N Out Burger (kind of like Dick's in Seattle).
It's late in the evening and as I'm writing this I hear the pitter-patter of raindrops on our rubber roof...hmmm. However, rain is good, especially in the desert, so bring it on.
"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"... Joyce
The weather forecast calls for the last of the rain to fall later this afternoon. Right now (9:00 a.m.), it is mostly sunny but on the cool side. After today it clears up, and starts to heat up with temperatures getting to the 80's next week! From here on it looks like the weather will be what you would expect for this area. We will probably need to get more sun screen soon. It should be plenty hot when Ron and Diane get here on the 20th.
Just after Joye headed for the car at the game yesterday, the clouds cleared out and it was bright and sunny! It was still a bit on the windy side, but comfortable. At the end of the 6th inning , Joyce had been back at the car for about an hour, and there was probably about an hour left in the game, so I headed out too. The M's ended up losing the game 6 to 4, and I believe that they are now 2 and 3 in spring training. They lost both of the games that we attended, and if I remember correctly, they lost 8 and tied 2 of the 10 games we went to last year!! We may go see their game against the Giants tomorrow in Scottsdale. There should be no blankets, coats, etc. required for tomorrows game!
Ernie

2 comments:

Ron and Diane said...

I don't blame you a bit for camping out in the car, thats what I would have done. Did he really have shorts on, wasn't it in the 50's? Comfortable to the guys doesn't necessarly always mean the same thing to us women thats for sure. I hope the weather man is right, I've got my fingers crossed that we see lots of sunshine. I'd better bring some warm clothes just in case.
Funny you should mention the In and Out Burger. I work with a women that said that I just have to eat there. Her son lives in the LA area and she says that they eat there everytime they visit. Is it really that good?
10 more days.....Diane

Sky said...

love the pictures, those plants that are behind Joyce are amazing, very cool!!!!