Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hawaii, the first day





Arrived on schedule Thursday afternoon, picked up the rental car and headed over to our 5 day home. The complex consists of 3 huge highrise buildings. Everything appears to be quite new, and the grounds are immaculate. Ther are several swimming pools & restaurants. There is a very nice sandy beach lagoon that is perfect for swimming. Unfortunately the lagoon is not good for snorkeling.
We took a drive up the west side of the island yesterday. It is approximately 10 miles to where the road ends. For about 5 miles the beach is covered with tents, tarp covered vehicles, leanto's, etc. There are hundreds if not thousands of people living sort of permanently on the beach. Beautiful beach that looks like Nickelsville. I don't understand it, but maybe it's a native Hawaiian thing. But I guess if I was a bum and just wanted to do nothing, this would be the place to do it. Mid 80's during the day, and low 70's at night. Today we are heading over toward Honolulu, and go to Hanauma Bay State Underwater Park to snorkel. I'm sure that it will be very crowded. We will update again in a couple of days. Now I hope that I can add a couple of pictures, then have a little breakfast.
Aloha, Ernie & Joyce

2 comments:

Sky said...

beautiful!!! I think if I were ever to get to a place like that I would never come home :)

Ron and Diane said...

Is this the trip you guys had scheduled earlier that you had to delay? The pictures look great, Ernie your right about the sunsets in Hawaii vs the Carribean. I don't see the speedo picture.
I can not believe that they let people live in tents and such on the beach. You would think there would be some sort of city ordinance against it. I guess there is trouble even in paradise.
Have a great time, look forward to more pictures.....Diane